Just Karma Back-story

Available at: Amazon
Phill
Site Admin

Just Karma Back-story

Post by Phill » Sat May 05, 2012 3:57 pm

If you've read other book descriptions, you'll know that my life generally sucked between 1990 and 1997. Many of my books were written during that time as a way of venting my impotent rage at life. As I told my family and friends, it beat the hell out of climbing up a water tower with a high-powered rifle and taking pot shots until the police showed up and ended it.

But Just Karma arose from some very dark places in my soul at the time. Think Twilight Zone marries the axiom "Beware of what you wish for, you just might get it." The premise is not terribly original, granted, but the way it was done was.

I used my literary talents to hammer everyone who pissed me off over the years (up to then) starting with a bus driver.

But that said, Just Karma is, IMHO, the best showcase of my writing (at the time, it may be better today) that I've ever done. It contains twenty two short-stories in five different genres (Fantasy, Science Fiction, Historical, Contemporary and Erotica), with the main character alternating between a man and a woman and with no genre repeating itself back to back. One of the "short stories" is a 35,000-40,000 word novella where I take on tour guides (Ever been a 12 year old kid mostly alone in Disneyland? Not recommended!).

These stories are inter-related, of course, and they all are tied up at the end of the book, making this more of a novel with distinctive chapters than an anthology. The problem in marketing it is that everyone saw it as an anthology and getting anthologies published was impossible for an unknown writer. So while it's the best showcase of my talents, it's also the most rejected by mainstream publishers book I've got. I pitched it heavily. Not one editor bothered to read beyond "Short-stories" and they all missed the word "interrelated" in the pitch.

But it was a helpful and cathartic experience for me to vent my ire at life by taking literary vengeance on the people (mostly) who had done me wrong. Beats the hell out of suicide by cop.