Legacy of the Skytouched - Backstory

Available at: Amazon
Phill
Site Admin

Legacy of the Skytouched - Backstory

Post by Phill » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Not very long ago, I was listening to some music and, oddly, the title song from the movie Brave made me think. It sung about stormy seas, tall mountains, flying and touching the sky. The latter phrase "touching the sky" struck a chord (no pun intended) in my head and I started turning that around until I came up with Skytouched.

And things got weird from there.

Now, in all honesty, there are tall mountains, and stormy seas in the book. No, I don't remember that from the lyrics, they just seemed to be the things to have in the book. And there are very tall mountains, and very stormy seas and a lot of things about the world - and themselves - my protagonists did not expect to encounter.

I began writing down ideas on the 1st of August, and finished the rough draft on the 4th of September, clocking in at 60,100 words (it will get longer in the editing, since I tend to get the story out first, then embellish where it needs more description later). I did cover art preliminaries (which is to say the pictures sans titling, description, formatting and author) and think it'll be a really nice cover.

I left open the possibility of sequels, but as it stands now, I don't expect there will be any - at least not any focusing on the characters from this book (though they would definitely show up at some time). If I get more inspiration for a sequel, I'll write it.

This sort of came out of left field and got written relatively quickly. Since it's shorter than my usual offerings (though still novel length), I hope to have the editing done and get it out there before the end of the year.

Phill
Site Admin

Legacy of the Skytouched - Backstory Part 2

Post by Phill » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Well, folks, Skytouched is finished.

In case anyone wonders, the way I tend to write is to throw out the story first, then edit, edit, edit, edit, edit, edit (that's six times, sometimes seven). Each edit does two things: expands on details, and fixes plot holes. Note the fixes plot holes part. I don't generally write out exactly what's going to happen. Usually, I start with an idea, and run with it - exactly what I did here. This is why I have more books started than I ever finished. Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes I get better magic by using parts of what came before.

So I detailed and filled plot holes (the action actually stayed exactly the same) and added almost 25,000 words (almost a third more) than I originally had at the end of the initial rough (and as it turned out, VERY rough) draft. But I pushed it, and got the editing done (mostly) when I expected to. I did find an error in publishing the e-book version I had to correct in the paperback version, which delayed publication for a few days to be reviewed and approved.

So it's out there now. A story about a bird and her boy - more or less. I hope you folks like it.