Coryphee' Back-story

Available at: Amazon
Phill
Site Admin

Coryphee' Back-story

Post by Phill » Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm

I really enjoyed writing Coryphee', mostly because it has just about everything you could want in a story. Murder, mystery, intrigue, politics, sex, really bad guys, revenge, naked girls... Well, mostly.

It's DEFINITELY NOT for a Harry Potter audience.

It's probably one of the more graphic novels I've written, but the graphic parts aren't gratuitous. When describing a decadent society, one needs to be decadent in the descriptions.

The genesis for the idea came from the Flashdance song, "What a feeling" by Irene Cara - especially the opening refrain about living in a world made of steel and stone. If you've never read the book, you may not get how much of that song went into creating Coryphee'. She's a dancer. She deals with feelings. Her world is, literally, steel and stone. When she dances, she is caught up in the dance and can't really control herself. SHE creates the music as she dances.

Coryphee' is a french word used to designate the lead female dancer, usually in a ballet. I found it in my Webster's Unabridged dictionary - you know, the one that's as thick as a standard piece of paper is wide? It was also DEFINITELY written in the mid to early 1990's, making it predate most of my other published books. Next to Unicorn Dreams (which isn't published - yet), it's the least "child friendly" book I have written. Another book, Full Spectrum (Also currently not published yet), probably rates somewhere below Coryphee' as far as a graphic nature goes.

Coryphee is one of my favorite books as well because it's the sequel to a book I have yet to finish - CORP.S. With Coryphee' taking place many centuries years after the events in CORP.S, I put in several references to the first book, which, of course, wasn't finished. With all the projects I have going now, I don't know when it will be. But both books are stand-alone stories taking place in the same "universe". Coryphee' is definitely the better of the two (at least so far) and doesn't suffer from any confusion or misunderstandings by a reader not reading the first book.

If only it sold more...