- Onyx, the Black Wizard whose power can do anything any other Wizard can do, is a 250 year old Jamaican-born slave who came into his Power, and stopped aging, at about the age of about thirty.
- Amethyst, the Purple Wizard of Knowledge, youthful looking, but ancient and timeless, born so many centuries before, none know her true name, age or even where she was born. Universally recognized as "the oldest Wizard", she is the unofficial, but universally recognized, center around which the other Wizards revolve.
- Blaze, the Yellow Wizard of Weather who can call up a storm on a sunny day, or make a storm go away. A bright and beautiful Dark Ages-born woman who enjoys the company of other wizards.
- Skye, the seven hundred year old Irish-born barely pubescent Blue Wizard whose Power commands water in all its forms and properties.
- Emerald, a middle aged, Middle Ages English gent whose Green Wizard power is the command of all plant life.
- Ash, the Grey Wizard whose late Ming Dynasty birth brings an Oriental flare to the powers of the mind that are his color-dictated talent.
- Cardinal, a European-born, renaissance era Red Wizard with the ability to command the element of fire.
- Ivory, a late Dark Ages French lass whose White Wizard power of illusion, and lust for power, put the other members of the Spectrum in grave peril.
Now, a new Wizard is rising, the first in over a hundred years after the disastrous failure with a Rising Wizard in Siberia in the early part of the twentieth century. He will be Nightstar, the Silver-Black Wizard, with all the Power of Onyx, and the Silver Power no Wizard has ever possessed before: The command over the movement of time. But there is more to his Power than what his unprecedented two colors would suggest.
He is also a special agent for the FBI, and a direct threat to the very lives of the other members of the Spectrum. They have lived with all the paranoia and fear centuries of exposure to witch-hunts, ignorance and bigotry can create. Can Nightstar be trusted? How will his arrival affect Ivory's carefully laid plans for wold domination? Can the Spectrum even do anything together against the one Wizard among them who has more Power than all of them combined?
In a world with real magic, real consequences and anything goes, only Time holds the key to the future.