Sunderland Saga Backstory and Progress

Phill
Site Admin

Sunderland Saga Backstory and Progress

Postby Phill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 am

Postby Phill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 am

This is a story line I've had in mind for more than 20 years (oh, crap, nearly 30 years!). I had a dream back in the 1980's that involved a mystery of some kind. Police and what not going from the police HQ to the scene of the crime. But while the scene at the police station was of a normal, modern metropolitan police station, the scene of the crime looked like something out of Lord of the Rings.

The route turned into winding cobblestone streets with elves and fairies and other magical critters floating around.

It stuck with me, for some reason. And the impressions I got from that dreams was that, years ago, the world experienced a war that SHOULD have destroyed it. But instead of being wiped out by WMD's, the target points that would have been destroyed instead traded places with an alternate reality where magic, and the magical critters, resided.

Now, I wasn't really sure what to DO with this. It seemed like a cool concept. But I wasn't sure how to apply it to a book. So it sat in my brain for almost 30 years before it cooked up as the premise and foundation of a whole series of books.

So far I have a firm 9 and probably 12 in the series. The books will be released in trilogies (no, I won't release each book when it's "done") that tell the whole story. Each book will tell part of the story, but will tell a story itself.

Right now the books are generally outlined and the world and course of events are being loosely mapped out. The races and their attributes are being figured out as well. Characters haven't been developed, of course, since they have to be part of the races. The minor story arcs that begin and end in each book haven't been worked out, either.

All in all, there's still a lot of work left on it before the first book is started. But I expect to start on that before the end of the year (2013) and have the first trilogy out by the middle of next year.

Phill
Site Admin

An update on The Sunderland Series: Arcania

Postby Phill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:54 am

Postby Phill » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:58 pm

As an update, the first book, Arcania, has been written and the next book, Gaiatech, is now being written (A whopping 2 pages done today, but I got a late start). The third book, Sundered Land, will be started immediately after Gaiatech is done.

These three books are the first trilogy of the Sunderland Triad. Basically a trilogy of trilogies, as I said before. But the "Sunderland Triad" may be changed to the "Sunderland Saga" since I have ideas that go beyond nine books for it. It may also just be good at three (depending on demand and my desire to actually continue the story). So the "saga" works better overall.

Given it's August, I don't know that I'll have all of the first three books written, edited, the cover art done (I only have vague ideas for Arcania, and nothing for Gaiatech, let alone Sundered Land.) before the end of the year, but I expect them to be done by April, 2014. I can usually kick out a book in three or four months. Arcania took about 30 days, but it still has to be edited and I'm not usually that inspired.

Arcania clocks in at a hefty 94,000 words (at least in the rough draft). If you like airships, magic (with rules) dragons as personal transportation devices, outside of the box thinking, a little implied titillation and a tongue planted firmly in cheek, you'll LOVE this book.

As planned, none of these will be released until the first trilogy is done. That's when they'll go out as separate novels. I don't expect them to be short as individual books. Since there is no HINT of what is going to happen from book to book, and none of the stories are completed until the third book (inasmuch as an on-going series ever completes anything), I didn't think it was fair to my readers (you guys) to leave you hanging for TOO long.

As for the other books I have in the writing stage, they're taking a back seat until I either finish this trilogy, or I get too sick of it and need to write on something else for a while. But given my level of inspiration now, I'm really shooting to have these at least fully written before the end of the year.

Whether or not I manage that remains to be seen.

Phill
Site Admin

An update on The Sunderland Series: Gaiatech

Postby Phill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 am

Postby Phill » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:55 pm
Gaiatech is now completed.

It took me longer than I wanted, and it will need quite a bit of editing, but it was finished last night and both worlds are now where they need to be.

The introduction for The Sundered Land has been written and although things aren't entirely mapped out (When I write my books, they tend to take on something of a life of their own, and it's best for me to just go with it), I know what the end goal is and things are fuster clucked enough in both stories for it to take an entire book to get there in a way that's entertaining and strange.

As usual, I have no cover art yet, but I have ideas for all three covers and have slowly been accumulating the things needed to put them together. As for actual publication, I'm still looking at the end of January at the very earliest before I have everything ready, but it will probably be March or later depending on how the editing goes.

Gaiatech took me a lot longer to finish than I had hoped, but now that all the components are in place, it should be easier, and faster, writing from now on. (I've said that before and sometimes it's even worked out that way!) I still want to be done with the writing by the end of the year.

Stay tuned.

Phill
Site Admin

An update on The Sunderland Series: Sundered land

Postby Phill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:58 am

Postby Phill » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm
The third book, The Sundered Land is now not only complete, but has even had its first re-write.

It got written in eleven days (from the 15th of November to the 26th). It got re-written in about ten days. The first write ended at just over 82,000 words, which was short of my goal. In the re-write, I cut out some stuff that didn't make much sense, added a few things here and there that it needed to flesh it out and it's up to about 92,000 words, putting it about 1500 words less than Arcania (which, so far, is the longest book, but has yet to be re-written).

So, basically, the trilogy is written, but it's not DONE. As I said, I still have re-writes on Arcania to do, and all of the books will be "re-written" at least two more times. The difference between writing and re-writing is that I don't have to type out the 300,000+ words I've done so far AGAIN. I just need to carefully read it with a dispassionate eye and fix the little things. Fair warning: I kind of suck at that. But the story is good (IMHO, at least).

I also have to do the cover art. The problem with that is I need a certain thing (or six) depicting different kinds of airships for two of the three Sunderland book covers which I don't have. (EDIT: I JUST GOT AIRSHIPS!!!!). If all goes well, I should have that trilogy out no later than April, and possibly even before then.

So stand by, folks... When you see the cover thumbnails, you'll know it's out.

Phill
Site Admin

Re: Sunderland Saga Backstory

Postby Phill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:59 am

Postby Phill » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:21 pm
The re-writes are all done, and the finer editing begins.

As I mentioned, the idea behind the re-writes is to find problems and issues with the story like consistency, descriptions, walls of text, pace and other things that happen as the story is being slammed into the computer. For the most part, they read like regular books now and are generally consistent, with the pacing I want. The major problems are mostly corrected.

Now comes the tweaking. The tweaking is the finer stuff, the nuances that help separate the characters, more firmly establish their personalities, spice up or correct scene descriptions and make the book more enjoyable to read. During the tweaking, the editing is being done as well. The tweaking is done to make sure the major revisions (all of the books had them) flow properly. And because there is editing involved (fixing words and the way things are put together) so there are two rounds of tweaking. I expect these will take a couple of months.

In the meantime, I'll be working on the cover art. I have what I want on my covers firmly in mind and will be getting those put together over the next two months as well. I'm still shooting for a March release.

Unlike last year, I'm not entering any contests, assuming they're even going to run it, which I'm inclined to think not. They're saying they have no plans to announce an Amazon Breakthrough Novelist Award contest for 2014. Usually they have it all over the place by now since last year, the starting submission date was the 14th of January.

Anyhow, back to the grind...

Phill
Site Admin

Re: Sunderland Saga Backstory

Postby Phill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:00 am

Postby Phill » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 pm
The Alpha Trilogy is done!

All three books, cover art and the rest have been finished, and posted to Amazon Kindle. They're in the process of being published as I type this, and the links to their sales pages will be included once they're posted.

The next trilogy is already outlined and ready to start. The third trilogy is mapped (all the books are assigned with what will generally happen in each one), and the fourth (and final one) is in the general idea stage (I know what it's going to be about).

Each book in the Alpha Trilogy presented its own challenges, with the second book being (by far) the hardest to write. But without giving too much away, for a myriad of reasons, the rest of the books will be easier to write.

But for now, with nearly 300,000 words into what will be a more than a million word epic series, I'm taking off a month or so before going back to writing on the next trilogy. (maybe)

Phill
Site Admin

Re: Sunderland Saga Backstory and Progress

Postby Phill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:34 am

You may have noticed that the next three book titles for the Sunderland Saga series have been posted, with no posts. I don't expect to post anything until after each book is written (at least a rough draft). Once they're published, of course, they'll end up in this category here on the fan-site.

Transitions is the next book, and begins five years after the end of the Sundered Land. I plan on having it cover about ten years (unlike the less than the one year of the Alpha trilogy). Chaos will cover the next five years and Entropy will cover the next five years.

New major characters will be introduced (of course). And I expect much will happen. And that's about all I have to say about it right now because with my writing, things don't always go as planned. Of course, they haven't been written yet, but I do hope to get them done by the end of this year. At least if all goes according to plan, that is. I started the Alpha Trilogy in April and was published on Amazon within 6 months. I've got about nine months left this year, so I figure I should have enough time to do that.