Hello and welcome!

Official announcements, greetings and things going on in my life.
Phill
Site Admin

Hello and welcome!

Post by Phill » Sat May 05, 2012 3:15 pm

I've started up this website now that I've sold a few books. People love to connect and I don't do Facebook (well, I DO, but it's not my preferred method of connecting with my readers), so this is the next best option for me.

This is a place my fans can come to give feedback about my books - both the ones out there and the ones up-coming. You are free to laud my work as brilliant, of course, because that feeds my ego. But I also encourage constructive criticism as well. Since I publish (at least right now) strictly through e-books at Amazon, I can actually update the books should mistakes (we all make them) or inconsistencies be discovered.

This is a place mostly for fans to talk about the books - what they like, what they don't like, what went wrong, what went right - and get feedback straight from the guy who wrote it all.

Most of these books were written quite some time ago - in the 1990's - during a really bad time in my life. I typed at least ten of them out on a Commodore 64 I got from my brother when he graduated to a real computer. We had to work together to get them from the Commodore 64 into an IBM format when I graduated to a real computer. I had a hard drive crash shortly thereafter and spent quite a sum of money to have the data recovered (not being able to do it myself at the time). In the meantime, I wrote and wrote and wrote some more, adding another twenty books to the total. Many of them were simply fantasies unworthy of publication, some were fan fiction, but the majority can be put out there as long as a reader has an open mind.

My books are intended for adults. Some of them are pretty racy (or sick, kind of depending on what you consider sick and how objective you remain while reading it), but all of them reflect the human condition - the good with the bad. These are NOT Harry Potter books and to be honest, young adults may not get them. I write them mostly for my own entertainment, to feel like I'm accomplishing something with the time I do have on my hands (when I have it) and, as a recent motivation, to make money. After all, if it's taken almost 20 years to get around to even try to publish them, obviously money hasn't been a major motivator to write in my life.

This site is a bit of a work in progress. There are a lot of things going on in my life besides my writing which splits my attention. But every day I do something about my writing - the cover art (Yes, I do my own), promoting my books, writing on new ones, editing old ones and getting the ones that are all done out there. Adding the forum is one more thing. I don't expect a lot of fans, to be honest, since "making it" in writing is mostly a pipe dream for most authors. But on the off chance I get lucky, it will all be thanks to people like you who saw what I put out, liked it and bought it. And whether I get famous or not, if you've done those three things, I thank you very much.

Phill
Site Admin

Addressing Registration Issues

Post by Phill » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Greetings everyone!

After finally getting the hosting straightened out, and the site rebuilt and updated, I ended up with over 2000 registration requests flooding my e-mail in-box. Inasmuch as I'm an open and friendly guy (well, sort of), I looked at those in the list, and realized that the similarities in styles, and e-mail address domains, indicated that most of those (by a lot) were spam bots attempting to gain access.

I know this because none of the 100 users responded to the link sent to them to finish the registration after 24 hours.

I hate throwing out the babies with the bath, so if you registered for the site, and didn't get an authentication link in your e-mail, I apologize with all my heart. But 2000 users is a lot to filter when likely 99% of them were spam bots. I don't sell in Russia, for example, but I had about 100 .ru domains for user's e-mail, and I had over 500 users with "marketing" or some such thing as part of their e-mail domains. After a while it becomes easy to spot them because they use the same basic formatting. And when you see 40 or 50 newly registered users with the exact domain names (like xyzadvertisingmarketingspambot.com) all in a row, well, the writing is on the wall there.

So with the new site comes a new reboot in user registrations. Things are up and running with regard to communications, and I've re-implemented the "sign up and get e-mail to authenticate your access" feature like I had before. Fortunately, this time, I'm actually getting the notices so I can do something about it. But with the reboot, everyone who wasn't previously established as a registered user (you four know who you are), need to try again. There was no banning or blocking involved - just removing the accounts. You can sign up at your convenience and an e-mail authentication should be sent automatically.

Again, I humbly apologize for not tending to this sooner, and promise it won't happen again.

Phill
Site Admin

I can tweet, and sign your e-book!

Post by Phill » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:16 pm

Greetings everyone!

I've been busy getting my author ducks in a row.

I recently signed up for Twitter (#PHCampbellAuth), and even grabbed a way to sign an e-book for you.

I've added a Facebook promotional page which may or may not work (I'm still tweaking it) and encourage readers to meet me there. (I'm keeping my personal Facebook page limited strictly to people in my personal life and whom I've met in person, so please don't try to Friend me there.)

Speaking of Twitter, I probably won't be as active there as I am here. That's mostly because my literary elephantiasis causes me issues with only 140 characters to play with. But I'll manage somehow. I'm also posting to my Amazon blog more often, however I expect most of my posts to still be here.

There are still a lot of ideas for promotion to play with, and I need to twitter out a few things today about this. But I'll keep folks posted as I get more and more engaged in this.

Oh, and I'm still writing, of course. No worries there.

Phill
Site Admin

Re: Hello and welcome!

Post by Phill » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Howdy folks!

Just for the sake of sanity, after figuring out that the vast majority of my "new" fans came from places where my books aren't available, I'm changing the registration settings. Now that I'm almost retired, I figure I will be able to deal with the flood of registration requests (well, trickle really) that come from spammers. So I'll be personally authorizing, or not, new member requests.

Here's how that works:

I'll check to see if you have a legitimate IP (all IP's are recorded for registration requests - not visits - and members). If you are from a country where I sell my books, you'll probably get in. If not, you won't. There are also ways for me to tell if your IP is legitimate or if you're using a VPN or a Tor-like IP hider. I'm not looking to track down anyone. This is basically a "by country" search to see if you're from a country that typically joins to send spam.

Verification of your new account and authorization for forum access will take up to 24 hours, but you'll likely get a response much sooner. And you should still be able to read the forum since membership only really confers the ability to make posts here.

So, Russia, the Ukraine and China, you folks are out of luck here. Others countries may be added as time goes on, but so far, the rest of the world is pretty much welcome. The use of a VPN or TOR-like IP masking service is going to be grounds for banning and barring, so please turn them off if you want to access this site. As soon as I'm done researching and implementing the ways and means to block VPN IP's, TOR service IP's and whole countries (if it's at all possible at this level), I'll put registrations back to e-mail authentication like they were before. If not, I don't expect my personally handling the registration requests will be overly burdensome.

I want this to be a pleasant site for folks. I do not want it to be a forum for scammers hawking their wares. I'm sure legitimate members will appreciate that consideration.